Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Children and Sports: How Much is Too Much?

How much is too much when it comes to sports?  Currently, Railey participates in soccer, gymnastics and stroke lessons.  Doesn't sound too bad.  Except when you take into account that she has Spanish after school on Tuesday, soccer practice on Tuesday night, piano on Wednesday, gymnastics on Thursday, and a soccer game on Saturday.  Wait, I forgot about her stroke lessons, which usually fall on Monday or Friday.  

Not to mention homework…I will save that for another post though!
Railey led the prayer at this weeks soccer game..wish I had that on video


Paul and I were both pretty athletic growing up.  Both of us being more of the all around athlete rather than specializing in one sport.  So it is no surprise that we want our children to participate in sports as well.   And while Railey enjoys sports, she would much rather be at home playing in the cul-de-sac.




You hear all different philosophies.  Articles about helping them find their niche early and other that say to let them participate in everything and their niche will find them.  I have seen it done both ways. I have one friend who is signing her kids up for a different sport each time I talk to her….baseball, flag football, wrestling, and I think they even do basketball.  And they love every minute of it!


Yet another friend whose son plays baseball and piano.  Equally as happy and at the ripe old age of six he is composing songs!  

So I have tried to start focus on happiness. We are trying to encourage participation in the same sport over multiple seasons to give her a chance to develop her skills but I always give her the choice of participating.  Because when it really comes down to it, I want her to excel in sports because I believe that will make her happy.  But life might take her in a different direction.  Acting, art or music.  And that is fine too.  As long as she is happy.

A big smile and a wave for Mama
Miss Railey was not happy that the other team scored.  Maybe we need to have a little lesson on sportsmanship


I couldn’t help but include these adorable pictures of Ella and Maysie playing in the field while Railey played her game.  Too sweet.







1 comment: