Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Road Trip: Winter the Dolphin

1,600 miles, five cities, 6 days.  It makes me tired just typing it out.

But we did it, and every last part of the trip turned out better than I could have planned.  Since there are SO MANY pictures I have decided to separate out each "leg" of the trip into a different blog post.  So here goes.

We woke up bright and early Wednesday morning, 5:30 early, and I loaded up the girls, and the puppy, to head towards Clearwater.  Lucky for me, Tutu and Poppy offered to take the puppy and baby Ansley so I could treat the big girls to a fun trip to kick off Summer vacation.

After three hours of driving, Tutu and Poppy met us in Valdosta and we were off to meet Winter the dolphin.  The girls were a dream in the car and we made it to Clearwater in great time.  For those of you who have never heard of Winter, she is a dolphin that lives at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium.  She is extra special to my girls because she was featured in their favorite movie, Dolphin Tale, that told the story of her losing her tail and learning how to swim again with the help of a prosthetic fin.

Everyone there, employees and volunteers, were as nice as can be.









In true Maysie style, she was ready to go about 30 minutes in, but she toughed through it for her sister…


and I also got her help taking some pictures.  That kept her attention for a while.



We met Lucy and Ricky, who took turns playing Rufus in the movie.  Railey came up with a question that the trainer couldn't answer when she asked if Lucy and Ricky were married.



I was bound and determined to get a cute picture of the girls.  Nope, not gonna happen today.


Finally, it was time for the big surprise…Paul and I arranged to have the girls picture taken with Winter.  The only problem is that there was an age requirement, 5 years old.  So I might have told Maysie to do this if anyone asked how old she was.  Let's see how long it takes for this to come back and haunt me….


I had to take a picture of the picture but you get the idea.  The girls were beyond excited.  First stop of the road trip = SUCCESS!



No comments:

Post a Comment